Monday, June 25, 2007

10 year High School Reunion (Part One)

Continuing from my last post...

Friday Night(Picnic in the Park with Family): Eventually we went. I forgave dh, because, really, I *know* I'm fat, and punishing HIM for it just wasn't going to do anything. I will sign him up for sensitivity training though.

We got there about an hour late, no biggie, it wasn't a structured thing and people were coming and going the whole time. As we walked to the pavilion, and I was squinting to see anyone I knew, I could see people squinting at us to see if I was someone they knew. I could see them "counting" in their head all my little ducklings trailing behind me...1, 2, 3, wow...4...5...are those all hers? ...6 Oh my gosh! Are there anymore?

It was sooo crowded, little kids running everywhere and of course mine wanted to run off too. We tried to take Liam out of his car seat only to see poop alllllll the way up his back, lol. And of COURSE we didn't bring a change of clothes. Eric took him back to the van and tried to "salvage" his outfit and the carseat, I let the 3 boys go play on the playground, I tried to keep the twins still next to me. A couple girls I knew came right up to me and we were talking. One asked if the twins were mine, I said yes, and there's 4 more...her eyes about popped out of her head. She said, "Oh, *your* the one with 6 kids?!?!" I say...."Whaaaaaa? I'm being *talked* about? Oh man...." She looks worried, "Oh, no, I um, no I just heard someone say...someone had 6 kids...." backpedal...backpedal.... Greaaaat. lol

I ended up just chasing the twins around on the playground. I did see a buddy there, he was chasing his *one* child, lol. He pointed out his son, and his pregnant wife. Right then, some of my kids came down the twisty slide. I tapped them on the head and said, "This one's mine, this one, this one....one over there....there should be one more running around, and the immobile one is on that blanket with my hubby over there." Yeah, he did the eye pop mouth open thing. We talked about "the old gang" to see if either of us knew what happened to them, I knew pretty much about all the girls, and he, the guys, lol.

I went to sit on our blanket and trade with Eric the duty of watching all 5 kids (I was getting dizzy!) for the mellow poop-free, yet pantsless baby.
But then Liam got fussy, the twins were cranky, I was tired...and we'd only been there maybe 30 minutes. I motioned to Eric I wanted to leave (I really wanted to stay, but it was pointless with all our munchkins. And I was getting tired of being a side show.

Eric brought Allie to me on the blanket, who was very upset about being taken from the slide, even though she refuses to slide down it, Ethan was whining about wanting to go play the games (they'd set up for the kids), Liam was getting really fussy, Eric plopped Robbie down too, who jumped up and ran away, Spencer chased him down, and brought him back, but Robbie did that "limp toddler" thing, you know, so it's impossible to pick them up? So his shirt is half off and it looks like Spencer is mugging him, while trying to drag him back... I get a hold of Robbie, and Allie runs off SCREAMING. I ask Spencer to just follow her, but NOT try to drag her back. Oh, and I'm trying to talk to someone who came over to my blanket, I'm sure it was lovely, we were a regular three ring circus!

Eric comes back with Jordan, I ask him to take Liam and Robbie to the car, I tell Jordan and Ethan to follow Daddy, and I will go get Allie and her watchdog, Spencer. (sigh)

They had ended up on the opposite side of the park, on top of the very highest slide. Oh yeah, remember Allie's petrifying fear of going DOWN the slide? Spence and Allie are blocking the top, I'm trying to tell Spencer to help her down, but there are about 6 little kids in the way who won't move, so Spencer just goes past her and leaves her up there! Another little girl (maybe 2) thinks that's a good idea because this chick isn't moving, so she pushes past Allie too. This freaks her out, and she starts screaming. I'm trying to reach up and grab Allie, but it's way too high. I'm then trying to tell these little kids I need them to move so I can go get her. They look at me like I'm speaking Chinese pig latin, with a russian accent. Some of their parents see what's going on and try to help me move them. They still won't move. They think I'm "cutting" in line, lol

I finally climb up (and gee. It really is high, and there are no sides to the slide, just really low handles at the top. I was a little nervous too!), Convince Allie to walk backwards down the stairs, but she's still screaming. Once I'm on the ground, I reach up to grab her, but she keeps screaming. I'm thinking she's totally traumatized. (did I mention we have a large audience at this point?) I unpeeled her superhuman grip on the railing and I'm trying to tell her she's ok, I've got her, etc etc. Then....get this: She screams, "I WANNA SLIDE!!!!" Oh. Brother.

So I politely thank the other parents for moving their kids etc, I'm trying to ignore the hysterical screaming toddler in my arms and proceed to pick up my blanket and purse that I'd dropped to climb up and rescue my "princess", who is turning into the dragon at this point. I now have to walk across the entire park with my wailing girl and I *know* I was getting stares, but I just acted like it was nothing. I waved at a couple people I knew. Someone said something to me and smiled, I smiled back, but since my ears were ringing, I haven't a clue what they said. She was like an alarm siren or something. She didn't stop even after Eric pulled up and I buckled her in.

Never let it be said I don't know how to make an exit!

3 comments:

WatchMeLoseWeight said...

Sounds like quite an adventure Shayla!

Victoria said...

You need a hug huh? {{{{hug}}}} sorry it didn't turn out well, I hope the evening one did! Can't wait to hear all about it. Love ya sweetie!

Denise said...

Part 2! I need Part 2! Was the kidless second evening any better? What a bummer that you had to leave the park so early. Next time, DUCT TAPE!