Well, actually I didn't do any kicking, and really, I wasn't *that* great, but I took a Kickboxing class last night and it was so cool! It was part of a seminar at the karate school I work at, and even though I haven't started any karate classes (my 3 oldest boys have), I decided at the last minute I would do the Kickboxing session. I'm not very coordinated and am not very physically active, plus I'd be in the class with a bunch of advanced belts including everyone I worked with and for. I was afraid of looking like dork! Plus I had no "workout" clothes that fit, because I've lost quite a bit of weight in the last several months and pretty much none of my clothes fit, unless I want to look like a bag lady. We did run out of time before we got to any kicking :( which I was really looking forward to, but we went nearly 2 and a half hours of punching and blocking and I am hooked!
I am not the kind of person who would ever watch a boxing match or fight (I hate seeing them in movies, but at least I know it's choreographed, and the actors aren't really getting hurt that badly), and I have never throw a punch or been in a fight in my life (sibling squabbles don't count, right?). But learning about how to react to a punch thrown at you or being able to hit the other person-and I'm talking about self defense here-in order to stop them from hurting you, or possible your family, was like a fun mind challenge.
Plus I haven't done anything more physically active than going up and down our stairs, or running 3-10 feet to grab a toddler and keep him from getting hurt in like the last 6 months! Maybe even more. So it was really exhilarating getting my blood pumping and my body moving and my legs hurting, lol, but it feel good, like I'm alive! We were continuously bouncing back and forth on the balls of our feet while practicing and "sparring". My quads ache today! Ever time I go down the stairs I'm waiting for a leg to give out and make me fall, lol...but it's GOOD!
We were done at 11pm or so and I had so much adrenaline in my body, I was laying awake until 3 or so (I have problems falling asleep anyway), but that was after I got some food from Taco Bell because MAN was I hungry after that!
I petitioned the boss and really want us to start teaching a kick boxing class during the day for women. We've had several calls from women interested in it, and I would love to do this as well!
So my body is happy, and I'm determined to continue some for of exercise to tone up my flabby (although not as fat as several months ago) body, and just feel better in general.) and even though I'm sure I wouldn't scare any thugs off if they were thinking of attacking me, I do feel just the teeniest bit tougher :) A little empowered you might say.
Oh and btw, did I mention our instructor broke a baseball bat with his shin (a roundhouse kick) at the end, AND he's a Two Time World Champion Kickboxer? Here's a video of him (Eric Loveless). And he's really a nice guy! He has a great sense of humor and had us laughing all night.
Friday, April 25, 2008
I KICKED butt!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
So at the next get together, ya gonna totally kick all our butts, eh? Just to show us your skills? You go girl!
Go Shayla! I'm totally taking you with me if I have to go down any dark alleys.
Post a Comment