Monday, February 12, 2007

Deffinition of Positive Pessimism


I think I'm a realist, but I can get a little pessimistic sometimes. Ok, sometimes a lot. I believe that all stems from my childhood and my dad's eternal optimism that would drive a saint crazy (well, my mom's still sane, so maybe it's not that bad.)... but that's a saga for my therapist(I kid!) I try to keep that to myself though. Mostly, I'm positive on the outside, pessimistic inside. Like a bi-polar oreo. Hence, my blog name.
I found this "article" while googling my new blog's name. Pretty cool, I think. I didn't realize I was actually doing something useful while anticipating the bad, lol. Oh, and I think it's very appropriate that Eeyore be my mascot. I've always loved the sad, often homeless, little donkey. Just ask my parents who once had to go back and walk alongside a busy freeway to retrieve my little squeaky Eeyore toy I'd thrown out the window of our car when I was 2. I do a pretty good "Thanks for noticin' me" Eeyore impression too.

THE POSITIVE PESSIMIST

Can pessimism be positive? Although the term "positive pessimism" may be considered an oxymoron, practicing positive pessimism is anything but moronic. Positive pessimism in action is the practice of Crisis Anticipation

Crisis Anticipation is the process of predicting possible obstacles and developing a plan to overcome them before they happen. Sometimes planning for the worst can be the best thing we can do for ourselves. Let's face it, there are times when even the best-laid plans go awry. Remember Murphy's Law: If anything can go wrong, it will. Individuals that are prepared for this make the proper adjustments when crises occur, achieve solid success despite crises and continue to move toward their goals.

Crisis Anticipation will help you eliminate or overcome anything that can get in the way of achieving your goals. When things do go wrong, the positive pessimist is prepared and takes action rather than suffering from a reaction.

By looking for opportunities to turn negatives into positives, you will become more productive, confident and cool under pressure. You will continue on your path to success no matter how many obstacles come your way.

by Mark David
bottomlinecoaching.com

No comments: