Just sharing a diaper cake I made for my sister-in-law's baby shower a few weeks ago.(there were a big bouquet of bright balloons tied to it too, and I put a bigger bow around the elephants neck) Those are bibs and washcloths hanging over the edges. I planned on making flowers out of baby socks, but I couldn't find the right colors.




INSTRUCTIONS: The hardest part is getting the diapers in the right place, lol. After many frustrated tries, I used a lid off a veggie tray like this:


And just for fun...here's the cakes my mom made for me at my twin's shower.


INSTRUCTIONS: The hardest part is getting the diapers in the right place, lol. After many frustrated tries, I used a lid off a veggie tray like this:

Once I got them spiraled out and spaced right how I liked them (It can be as tight=more diapers, or as loose=less diapers as you want) I slipped a WIDE ribbon down around them (while still in the tray "mold") and tied it tight. I made the second layer smaller. You'll notice my mom had the 2nd layer going the opposite direction, that's cute too. You can put several layers on.
Base: I cut a piece of cardboard the size I wanted and wrapped it in tinfoil. You could use a cute wrapping paper, or tissue paper.
I put cute washcloths and bibs between layers(Cheap packs at Walmart...they were CUTE too!). You can't see in the pictures, but my mom rolled colored baby socks to look like roses and put them on the side (like you're decorating a cake). She also put pacifiers with bows tied on them along the side too. You could put all kinds of cute baby related doo-dads all over it.
Top it off with a cute stuffed animal with a bow around the neck, Wrap the whole thing with netting (Got it cheap at Wal-mart, all shades of fun colors) with another big bow, and cute tag.
Like I said, I tied a bouquet of balloons on top. My mom put baby blankets underneath. There's no limit to what you can do...this is just a basic instruction. Oh and if you make one...I want to see a picture! :)
6 comments:
So so so cute! I love those! I have no idea how you make them without Pampers exploding in all directions, but I love how they look!
Those are SO cute!!! I wish I'd a had this idea on the brain when I gave a baby present last week. She would have loved it. Are they hard to make? Looks like a bit of a challenge...
WoW Shayla, that looks awsome. What a great present to give.
Those look so great! Good job!
Those are adorable! Thanks for sharing the idea:)
Thanks for making me smile last week in the midst of my embarassment. I know I'm not alone!
Turned out cute! I've done this w/ candy bars, too! (cause I think cakes should be eaten - and ewwe - eat a diaper? LOL!) There are also a bunch of other variations to this - I have done the two & three tiered - but I think my favorite are the square sheet cake type (each diaper is rolled independantly) and then those cheap 88 cent silk flowers -- from walfart - cut up & stuck in there separately on the top - really is cute!
Post a Comment