This is really personal, and I'm sharing this in the hopes that if you are here reading this, and maybe if you've never experienced depression, especially long term, this may help you understand even just a little what it feels like. I've also shared how I'm trying to fight it. I hope you will read this without judgement on my part. I've tried to keep these things to myself as to not worry my friends and family when there was very little any of them could do. These are some random thoughts I've been having this morning, while worrying about a friend, who is struggling too. *deep breath* Here we go.
I don't think Ky killed herself because she felt unloved. She loved and was loved and she knew it. Over the last couple months, a few times I'd thought about *it*, somewhat seriously. But never once was it because I didn't think I was loved or not cared about. I know I have many many wonderful friends, more than I deserve, that would do anything to help me, if they knew how.
It was about feeling hopeless and not seeing any light at the end of the tunnel. It was feeling so rotten and worthless and that everything was just so much harder that it should be. It was the frustration at feeling these things and feeling like you had no control over it. You couldn't just "snap out of it".
It was also Satan doing every stinkin' thing he could to push those thoughts further to the forethought of my mind. To drill them in. To tell me it WAS hopeless, and I would NEVER feel better, never feel another way except how I felt now, and even if by some chance I did start to feel somewhat better, HE would be right there to drag me down as soon as I started to get a little shaky. It's absolutely terrifying, thinking you'll never be happy again and it's easier to just give up, right?
When you're in this dark place, thinking these things, it's very very easy to believe them. I've had thoughts that wouldn't go away in my bad times that on any "normal" day, I wouldn't have ever entertained for a millisecond. Your mind is altered. I think that may be what Satan does when he gets a little bit inside, to gnaw and poke and prod at your deepest fears, and tell you they are all true. I think his presence can absolutely change how your mind works. Physically. You can physically feel this too, like a dark, heavy weight pressing on you. AND I think he gets in when there has been a lack of light for so long. It's easier for him to creep in slowly, so that you don't even notice until BAM! I hadn't committed any big sins, just lack of keeping the light going in my life.
When I was feeling so crummy and I actually got an answer a couple times that I was supposed to do the things I knew I should be, like praying, reading the scriptures etc. I actually KNEW that would help me, (Not saying this is always a cure, or that if you're doing the "right" things, you will never suffer from depression or have any hardships, etc.) I couldn't do it. I felt so apathetic, because caring about my situation hurt me. I didn't want to try, even though I desperately wanted to be "all better". it would be "too hard". It was this big dumb contradiction: wanted to be better, but not being able to make yourself that way, even when you may very well have the answer under your nose. I think only one who's felt this same way understands that. Others may just see that as being lazy, or enjoying being sad etc.
So I've been working hard. I've been trying to fix the things I could and ignore the rest. Can I finish a bedroom in the basement-so the kids aren't squished and fighting- by myself because my hubby works 60 hrs a week and goes to school? Nope. Can I see into the future and know how we'll will survive on Eric only working part time at a dinky pay for the next 2 years while going to nursing school? Nope. Can I go through the mountain of laundry and get rid of half of it and get the rest washed, dried, folded and put away? Yes. Was it hard? Yup. Did it last for long? nope, but I had control over it, I could do it again, and again and again as frustrating as that was, *I* still had a hand in it. It's a simple little thing (well, my laundry pile cannot be called "simple" or "little", but you get the point), a household chore, for crying out loud! And one of the most dreaded of them all!(Especially if you have 6 small children...) But I began to feel again that I CAN control some aspects of my life, and recognizing that gave me more power. Absolutely forcing myself sometimes, I am doing things, although some days sporadically, that can change my surroundings, my attitude, and my heart.
I'm still not doing everything right. I've still got a negative outlook on somethings, but it's getting better. Not magically, but because I'm moving forward. Makes me harder for Satan to catch.
Friday, November 9, 2007
Message to my friends...and a reminder to myself.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
18 comments:
Thank you SO much for opening up and sharing this Shayla - you helped me understand my dh (and friends who also suffer from depression/anxiety) a bit better -
(((((((hugs))))))))
Thank you Shayla!!! Love you! {{{{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}
Shayla thanks for sharing that sweetie. It really touched me and made me sit back and realize that satan does have a real pull in our lives. I need to start doing more fo the things to bring the light back too. Thanks for reminding me! HUGS!
You are such an intelligent and insightful person Shayla. I really... really like you.
I am happy that things are starting to look a bit brighter. ((HUG)).
D
Shayla,
Everything you said is just so true.
I too have been fighting depression for more years than I care to admit to. I've been to the depths of hell.
There is only one difference between Kylie & me... she succeeded in her attempt to end her life & I did not. I frequently wonder why her life could not be saved, why she was allowed to do this, why it had to happen. I can't give the true answers, I am not God... but I can share my feelings.
I feel that for Ky, like everything she did in life, she did with her whole heart. She embraced a task with a determination unmatched by both & I feel that in embracing death, this part of her was completely in control.
Her mind was definately altered, she could see no way out other than death & her pain & suffering was too much for her to bear. IMO, anyone who has not been to that depth can not rightly judge because unless they have been there they can not possibly understand.
You are right when you said Kylie's choice did not come from selfishness. It did not come from a feeling a lack of love, of friends, or anything like that. It came from an inability to love herself.
Her self worth had been so completely undermined by the adversary that she did not have the strength to fight any more. She knew how much her family & friends loved her, but she did not feel worthy of that love. She felt the best gift she could give them was for her to be gone, to enable their lives to move on. She knew it would cause everyone pain & suffering & that saddened her so much, but her pain was beyond the realms of anything most people could fathom & she could not go on.
Kylie & I often talked about that side of it... she knew I understood since I had been where she was & it broke my heart to see her there. It's not a pain I would wish on ANYONE.
Shayla, I am here for you, please know that. If you need to talk, Email me... or I can call you. I've been down this road, I still face my demons.
On the bad days, they undermine the foundations of everything I know, but through Kylie's death, she has given me the strength to embrace life no matter how bad things get & I can never ever express fully how deeply grateful I am to her for all she ever did for me. I will always love her & she will always be my best friend. I will never let go of that.
Hold tight my friend & know you are loved and supported, and that support can sometimes come from places you didn't know.
I love you!
Thank you for saying the things that I still ca not say. I know this feeling all to well, right now somedays it is can I shower . I understand I really do.
Oh sweet Shayla....you amaze me with your wisdom....you help me to understand myself as I read of your struggles....thanks for sharing with us....hugs and continued prayers.
That was just beautifully said, Shayla.
Jillions of hugs ... you are beautiful and loved!!!
I love you Shayla! Hang in there girl :)
Shayla,
You are SO not alone in the fight. It is a fight and it is very real. Keep fighting. Keep praying for help. I had a bishop tell me to get a blessing everyday if I needed to. I tell you that I had many blessings and that was about the only thing that kept me afloat.
Another thing that kept me afloat was the HOPE that the Jesus Christ loved me like I had been taught all my life.
Have you read Michael McLeans Hold On book or heard the song?? That song says it all -- Hold on, hold on, the light will come.
(((HUGS))) my friend.
One more thing I want to clarify:
After I got better and was able to function, I knew that the Savior was with me the entire time. Sure, I still have my ups and downs, but I know that I am never alone and that it will get better.
((((HUGS)))) Shayla....
I had postpartum depression after my kiddoes were born and didn't realize it until a year or so later.
Thank you for sharing your feelings. What you said was so very, very true.
Love you lots and lots!
Thank you Shayla. I know that's not easy. One step at a time. That was written beautifully. I'm glad things are starting to feel better and the light is feeling warmer again for you.
(((((((((((Hugs))))))))))))
{{{hugs}}} I know you have struggled, I love ya tons and I am sorry. I am glad things are getting better, and I pray they continue. If you ever need anything please let me know- and I mean that ;)
I so relate, and the hardest part that someone mentioned is not that you are not loved, but that you don't feel worthy of that love. Don't let Satan talk you out of who you REALLY are...a daughter of Heavenly Father who loves you!
Shayla, you are one of the neatest people I have ever met. I am blessed to know you. :) I'm sorry I wasn't able to respond sooner. I've been out of town since Thursday. I'm thinking about you and praying that it will continue to get better. Hugs to you!!!
You ARE so loved, Shayla! ((((((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))))))
Kate
Post a Comment