Honestly, be ready for a lame-o post!
I went to Wal-mart last night (Now you know it's gonna be good! lol), and saw a 3-pack of Reach Toothbrushes for $1.96 on an end cap in the linens section. I usually by 2 packs of cheapos at the dollar store, but these were nice and would save me a trip there. Cool. I grabbed two.
Later at the register, they rang up $4.97. I told the cashier, and she changed the price to $1.96. I then asked if she would give me the $3 dollars off for the price ringing up wrong. (If you don't know, this is a "policy" at Wal-mart. If the price rings up wrong, they will take $3 off the price,[if it's not a clearance item] and if it's under $3, the item is free. Oh, so I'm just realizing now the item would be free intead. Ooops.) She said, yeah ok, and kept ringing things up.
Well, I've been shopping at this Wal-mart long enough to know that at least 1 item in every trip will ring up wrong. Usually it's between 2 and 50 cents. I am annoyed, but I let it go. So I try to remember exactly what every item costs, and I always watch what they ring up as. It's a habit, but it's saved us booku bucks over the years. I've gotten the $3 off many, many times. It totally adds up, especially when you factor in how Wallyworld is trying to nickle and dime us to death by charging higher prices than are marked(No, I don't think they're doing it on purpose. I'm not into that conspiracy junk...I just think it's plain laziness and incompetance. And they *really* don't care.). I don't even bother to clip coupons anymore because why use a .25 cent off coupon on one thing, when another product you bought(which you choose *because* it was cheaper than another brand) rings up .38 cents more than it should?
I've learned that even though the sign is posted IN FRONT OF THE REGISTER (It's only on a few random ones now), most cashiers don't know what you're talking about. They have to call a CSM or manager or whatever and they will explain it to them. I've seen it so many times I could explain to the cashier HOW to do it, but then I think they'd be suspicious or something, lol. They have to ring the item in again, do some sort of code...it's like "price overide error" and then they enter in the correct price and $3 will *automaticly* come off too.
So back to my boring story, the $3 hadn't come off, so I said, "I'm sorry, but were you going to take the $3 off also?" (I was very apologetic, because I didn't want her to think I was badgering her-and she was begin very nice the whole time) She said she had, but she thought I meant taking off $3 to make it the right price. I told her about the policy and she realized what I was talking about and called over someone else to help her.
That girl said she'd have to go check the price first. She asked where I got it, so I told her on an end cap NOT in the health and beauty section but across the wide isle from it. I was worried it was going to take her a loooong time because things in Walmart are so random and often hard to find. I HATE holding up a line!
Some one came in line behind me, and the checker told him it may take awhile. He said no problem, he didn't mind. I smiled apologeticly. A couple more people joined the line (this is the express isle too...), and I didn't want to make eye contact, because now I felt stupid.
It was taking too long for my taste, and I really hated holding everyone up, so I asked the cashier just to finish up and I'd take it to the service desk. She asked if I were sure and I said (a little loud, because I wanted to people in line to hear I was sorry) I didn't want to make all these people wait. So after that, I still had to wait for the other lady because she had my toothbrush pack I paid for.
She came, but couldn't find it, could only find a 2 pk of some other kind for $4.96. She said the Reach toothbrushes by themselves were $1.96, etc. I asked if she'd like me to show her where they were (if anything, I didn't want to look like a liar!), she was hesitant, but agreed.
I brought her right to them and she was surprised. She said she hadn't looked anywhere but there the other toothbrushes were. (Did I tell her they werent' there?) Then she says, Yeah, that's a good deal. I told her, yes, I know, that's why I bought it (:P duh)
So she brings me to the service desk to fix it, she waited in line with me so she could tell them I wasn't lying (lol), and after we stood there for 2 minutes, watching 3 cashier/csm/manager people with keys trying to fix something on the computer, lol, and no one was being helped, I asked my "security guard" for her name, and told her I'd just have them call/ask you (I forgot they don't have those Target walkietalkies...) and verify it. She said, Oh, nevermind, I think I can do it on my register. So we trek BACK across the store for like a 4th time.
Oh and she can't do it on her reg. Trying has signaled a csm dude to come over as we're going back to the service desk. She explains to csm we meet on the way and he says ok, he'll take care of it. So I've being handed off, and new puppyguard takes me BACK to the service desk, where he ALSO stops and we wait in line. Behind the SAME poor lady that's been waiting that whole time. And the SAME 3 people are trying to fix the register. Seriously, why to they have like 6 registers if they only open 1 or 2 at a time?
FINALLY, it's our turn. Girl at the Service desk argues that I wasn't charged the wrong price, it showed on my recipet it was adjusted to the right price. I said I *KNEW* that, I caught the mistake and we hunted down the blasted things to confirm that. She said, well, you weren't charged the wrong price, so I can't give you the $3. Then the puppyguard says, Oh yeah, that's right. That's the policy. Really, I don't know at what point I should have given up. I think our looming financial future was scaring me, so I was more adamant about my dang $3. And it's the whole danged principle of the thing. I HATE WALMART for ripping people off. I'm not just fighting for myself, I'm fighting for YOU, and YOU, and YOU!!!.
But after all this hassle, I wasn't going down that easily. I quoted (I think verbatim) the stupid sign that said if an item RINGS up the wrong price, they'll adjust the price and give you $3 off your total purchase. I told them I am very meticulous about watching the prices because I have never been to any store that had more price discrepancies that this one, and so I was also very familiar with the $3 policy, and I had listened to many many managers explain it to cashiers, including what code to use etc(I told her what it was, she didn't seem to care). Again they argued that the price DIDN'T ring up wrong etc etc. (It does show on the recipt it did and then she changed it.) Why am I wasting my breath?
Finally the puppyguard(Do you know the term puppyguard? We used to use it as kids when we played tag. Like if someone was in a safe spot, but would eventually have to leave, the person who was it would "puppy guard" them, waiting to catch them. We'd call out, "Hey! NO puppy guarding!". Yeah, anyway. I now return you to our regularly scheduled rant.) says, "Well, since it's such a small amount, we'll just do this for you..." Like he was doing me a favor, and ridiculing me for all this trouble over $3. Whatever. I truly don't care.
But as they were cashing it out, and he told me in the future, I should just let it ring up the wrong price and then come to the customer service desk and have them fix it. I was so annoyed, I said, in a very calm clear voice (We had an audience of people waiting in line behind us too), "So let me get this right, After standing in a very long checkout line (this store is ridiculous for being slow, and having very few stands open), I should let myself be overcharged, so I can go stand in ANOTHER very slow line at customer service, to have the store correct it's mistake?"
He replied, AND I QUOTE, "Yeah, It may sound silly, but it's the policy."
As I turned to go (and faced the line that was watching and listening), I said, "Oh, Ohhh-kaaaay..." in a slightly patronizing tone, and I was rolling my eyes so only the customers could see. 3 or 4 of them laughed ;)
I honestly want to take my digi-cam around with me shopping next time and take a picture of every item and the price. Then when I take my big old list to the service desk, I will ask for a REAL manager and show them. Then they will all have a good laugh about me when I leave the store. I. hate. walmart.
Sorry you had to read that, but don't say you weren't warned.

6 comments:
Aggghhh! I share your Walmart hatred. Intensely. I don't know why I keep shopping there, when it's never a pleasant experience!
I honestly believe that they make things purposely difficult, knowing that most people won't bother to follow up on it. It's like rebates; you buy something because it has a rebate, but do you remember to send it in? Do you send your original receipt, which you somehow remembered to save? Do you ever get the rebate, or do they just wait it out until you forget about it?
That's what Walmart's like. They put in price-matching, or cash back for wrong prices, but then they make it such a pain to use those benefits, they figure people won't bother. So they bring in the business with the bait, but never have to pay out.
Walmart is the Antichrist.
Oh, Shayla, I'm exhausted reading this post! Hooooooly Cow! I loathe Wal-Mart...but I must shop there, anyway.
Mad applause....GOOD FOR YOU!
Ugh! I totally get what you mean, and when it gets down to that "it's the principle that matters" thing. I've been atament about proving myself right too. I was on a first name basis with the regional manager before we moved because ours was so bad. I paid for tires and an oil change and got home with JUST the oil change. Oh, yeah, you know HOW mad I was? They discovered their mistake before I got home(pre-cell phones for us) and dh met me at the door. I figured it out on the way home and pulled over because they didn't feel any different, but I knew if I went back there would be blood. So, he just took my keys out of my hand, grabbed the bags and carried them in and said, "The manager says he's REALLY sorry." lol I think they should have paid me $3 for each tire and gotten all four of them for free. Yeah, Ron Smoot knows my name. lol
First off... LOL
Second off... I had no idea this was a policy!
Third off... all I could think the whole time reading this was that infamous line "I want my two dollars", only dude, for three, it was worth doing.
*giggle*
ROTFL!!!! I wish I were there with you! Especially when I am PMSing I love to make scenes...LOL
I hate Walmart too.
I wish I new about the $3 thing before now. Gosh, I would be rich!
I am lucky to get two items out of twenty the price that they say they are in their spots. I have had problems with places like Target removing their sale signs from off places they were so I now take pictures of the price with the item on my Camera phone as evidence before I question a price. Even if it rings up wrong I'll pay the price just to go confirm it myself because they move signs when they do it. Or I'll tell them I want to go with them, because all to many times they just remove the sale paper and I go back to check and it is moved or gone. It really ticks me off! Yeah... I know I am a little crazy.
Post a Comment